• Newspaper
  • Community
  • Founded

    The Winchester Sun was first published Nov. 1, 1878 as The Semi-Weekly Sun. It later became known as the Winchester News, the first daily newspaper in the community, on Oct. 12, 1908. In 1912 the News changed its name to the Sun. In 1924 it moved to its present location at Wall Street and Cleveland Avenue. The Tatman family of Connersville, Indiana, acquired the Sun in 1936. James Tatman served as publisher until his death in 1988. The Tatman family continued to publish The Sun until selling the newspaper to Schurz Communications Aug. 2, 2005. Boone Newspapers, Inc. took ownership at the start of 2016. The Sun is the newspaper of record for Clark County and also offers commercial printing on their Atlas web press. The newspaper’s website, www.winchestersun.com, serves online readers who may wish to keep up with Winchester and Clark County.


    Daily 5,589

    Publication Days


    The Market

    Winchester is located 20 miles east of Lexington, just off I-64. It is the Clark County seat. Most of Clark County is an integral part of the Bluegrass Region with the scenic beauty and more rugged terrain in the eastern part of the county. Clark County has long been known as a place of superior agriculture and livestock.

    Key Executives

    Larry Hensley, President, Editor and Publisher; David Stone, Editor; Jennifer Foley, Advertising Director; Renita Cox, Controller; Mark Walker, Circulation Manager; Candi Campbell, Customer Service Manager.

  • Population

    Winchester, 16,766; Clark County 36,159

    Median Age

    36.7 years

    Median Household Income


    Top Employers

    East Kentucky Power Cooperative, Ainak Inc., Catalent Pharma Solutions, EDS an HP Company, Freeman Corp., Infiltrator Systems Inc., Leggett & Platt Inc., Marktek Biosciences Corp., Niles America Wintech Inc., Osram Sylvania, Pepsi-Cola Bottling Co., Quality Manufacturing Inc., Save-A-Lot Distribution Center, Walle Corp., Winchester Farm Dairy.

    Community History

    Winchester was founded as a town in 1793. In 1812 it was the 7th largest city in Kentucky. Clark County is named after George Rogers Clark.


    Bluegrass Heritage Museum, located in the former Guerrant Clinic; Holly Rood, a historic home constructed in 1813-14, built by James Clark, the 12th governor of Kentucky; the Clark County Courthouse, which was completed in 1855.